Explora Public Libraries
EBSCO’s Explora is a user-friendly search tool that supports both research and instruction. Explora searches across the following resources:
- MasterFILE Complete – A comprehensive collection of full-text general interest articles from periodicals, newspapers, and books. This authoritative general information database is the best place to start your research project.
- Read It! – Research while practicing reading skills. Read It! helps students who have a basic foundation in English grammar and reading but need level-appropriate reading material. Read It! is also a great tool for English Language Learners.
Find downloadable, fillable forms for basic legal transactions, current to Virginia code, including leases, sales contracts, powers of attorney, and more. Legal Forms, its publisher, Gale Cengage, the Library of Virginia, Virginia public libraries, and their funding bodies assume no liability for actions resulting from the use of these forms.
Can’t decide what to read next? Need a recommendation for a child, student, or family member? Use NoveList to discover your next favorite author, series, or title!
Magzter Digital Magazines
Magzter provides a wide selection of digital magazines that can be accessed on mobile devices and tablets as well as on computers. Magazines are in English, Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Arabic. Android and iOS users can download the Magzter Library app from the Apple Store or the Google Play Store (please note they need to use the Magzter Library app not the standard Magzter app). Magzter can also be accessed in your browser. In each case enter an email address, receive an OTP code and then select your library and enter a library card number.
LIFE & CAREER
Explore a unique business library, featuring videos, book summaries, and articles on professional development, leadership theory, and business best practices. Create an individual account to keep track of your reading materials and progress. Or, login as a guest with these credentials:
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: V1rgin1a (note the numeral 1 in place of both "i"s)
Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative
Use these self-paced, online classes to learn how to think like an entrepreneur as you prepare to launch a small business venture or plan a career path. Take your passion into the business world. (ELI is the equivalent of 3 college credits).
Connect LIVE with a certified tutor, seven days a week between 2 and 11 pm, for assistance with assignments, research and writing. You can also find practice tests, study plans, and more. Tutoring is available in English and Spanish.
Connect with a certified career coach, seven days a week between 2 and 11 pm. Get help with résumé writing, applications, searches, and skill development needs. Also find unemployment assistance, résumé templates, career assessments, and more. Includes test prep resources and practice tests and career credentialing information for over 140 specific careers.
Learn to speak 140+ foreign languages including over 20 indigenous languages, American Sign Language, and Citizenship Prep, and also includes ESL/ELL materials for speakers of 34 different languages. Transparent Language is perfect for the business travelers or tourists, as well as supplementing classroom lessons for students.
- Digital Learn
- If you are new to computers, haven’t used them for a while, are a little unsure and uncomfortable, or just need a refresher, we have the tools to help you tackle technology at your own pace and gain the confidence you need to succeed.
- Northstar Digital Literacy
- Test your computer skills, build skills in key areas, and demonstrate your knowledge by earning certificates and badges. Prepare for your future now!
From photography to physics and computers to calligraphy choose from over 500 online classes. Learn something new or update your existing skills. Access classes from your local public library website, by using the Libby app on a mobile device or tablet, or on your computer at libbyapp.com.
Connect LIVE with a military benefits navigator, seven days a week between 2 and 11 pm, for help with eligibility questions, connecting with veteran's benefits and community resources, transitioning from a military to civilian career, and more.